Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Magic Ride



I'd spent the morning busking at the Farmer's Market, so I was forced to carry my backpack and guitar as well as a heavy keyboard stand I use as a music stand all around the park. The stand was strapped to my guitar which was strapped to my back in a backpack-style guitar case. This made me another awkward foot taller. My heavy backpack thus needed to be carried in my hand.
Jackie and Esther were nice enough to meet me where I was busking, and we proceeded to Riverside Park. It was crowded and hot and, because of the time limit the buses forced on us, we didn't have time to linger.
Finally, we made it over to the international food booths. Even with the money I'd made busking, I was a couple dollars short but Jackie was nice enough to help out.
Suddenly we realized we had about 10 or 15 minutes to get to the bus exchange and it was about 6 blocks away. Jackie and Esther decided to take a cab, and I ran for the bus.
Well, I didn't exactly run. I speedwalked with the Imperial March in my head.
I made it to the end of the transit exchange and could see my bus about 2 bus lengths away. They were just starting to pull out. I awkwardly jogged toward them while my guitar banged against the back of my head. I was screaming, "Stop! Stop! Wait! Wait! Don't go!" but they went.
Then I heard the Dark Side say, "Use the anger, Mark. We have cookies." Wanting to get the driver's attention, I grabbed an empty plastic apple juice bottle and flung it at the bus. As it left my hand, I realized it wasn't plastic -- it was glass. Like my dreams of catching the bus, it shattered on the ground, missing the bus by a few inches. Still they ignored me.
I chased them for a couple of blocks, and almost had them at a red light, but it turned green. I was already halfway to Columbia Street by now, so I decided as a penance for my act of vandalism, I should walk home.
~
I got as far as the Starbucks across from the hospital and decided to sit in the air conditioning for a minute. When they heard my story, they were nice enough to give me a big glass of ice water, even though I had no money to buy anything.
There was nothing left to do but climb the very steep hill before me. I was about halfway up when someone yelled at me: "Mark!" Unfortunately, he was heading downhill. Moments later, the same car came up behind me, honking and pulling over by me. It was none other than ex-Williams Lake magician Clint W. Gray and his wife.
"Get in before someone hits us," he said. I dived in. He made me disappear from the road. And poof! In a cloud of smoke, I was home. Where my watch and my underwear went, I'll never know.

3 comments: